Sunday, March 27, 2005

happy easter

Happy Easter. I'm not very Easter-ish today: no frilly new dress, no basket of chocolate, and I've kept myself from buying Cadbury eggs all season. I will be going down to my sister Chrissie's place for dinner. I'm making a Peeps cake in honor of my sister Lizzie, who actually eats those vile little blobs of sugar.


Peeps Cake

CAKE

2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar
3 large eggs left at room temperature 30 min
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, putting the oven rack in the middle. Butter and flour two 8- or 9- inch round cake pans. (One 13' x 9' pan will also work.)

Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl.

Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 min. Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla until thoroughly blended, about 5 min. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture and milk alternately in 3 batches, beginning and ending with flour mixture and mixing until batter is just smooth; do not overmix.

Spread batter evenly in pans. Bake until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pans (and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, but I never have toothpicks), 20 to 25 minutes. The cake is still pale yellow; it will not brown. If it has browned, YOU RUINED IT. Oh, sorry. I get stressed when I bake. Anyway. Cool for 5 min in pans on a rack, then invert onto the rack to cool completely.


LEMON PUDDING

Make lemon pudding from one of those nice little Jell-O boxes. Overachievers may make theirs from scratch, but they are going to have to find their own recipe.


SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING

Combine 2 large egg whites, 1 c sugar, and 1/4 c water in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water and beat with a hand-held electric mixer at low speed until mixture is warm and sugar is dissolved. Increase speed to high and beat until frosting is thick and fluffy, about 7 min. Remove from heat and beat until slightly cooled.

This frosting has a lovely marshmellowy sheen to it.


ASSEMBLY

Carefully split the cake rounds to make four thin layers. Layer the cake with lemon pudding, putting pudding on the top of the cake as well. Frost with the seven-minute frosting. If desired, sprinkle with coconut. Put lots of yellow Peeps on top.

Remove Peeps and give them to Lizzie prior to serving.

1 Comments:

Blogger photogenic said...

I am so excited for this. I can't believe that I forgot about this glorious glorious creation for easter. I need to go to the store....

15 April, 2006 22:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home