Wednesday, May 25, 2005

turning heads

I've noticed that the new vehicle has a certain head-turning quotient. It seems to affect men, in trucks, with the windows open. I wasn't sure whether it was admiration or only confusion--why does that little SUV sound like it's eating something? Is the engine going? But now I know. I'm pretty sure it's admiration.

I went to Jiffy Lube today for my first oil change. The guy who checked me in at the computer asked a host of questions about the car--make, model, style. When he asked, "Four or six cylinder?" I hedged. I didn't know. It's the cute diesel kind. "Diesel," I told him, figuring that the cute business might just as well be omitted. He looked at me. "Oh," he said. "The turbo." The note of reverence in his voice startled me somewhat. But that was only the beginning. I heard the mechanics behind me: "I think it's a diesel." "No way, man." "No, just listen to that engine." The hood opened and I heard an intake of breath. "It's a dream."

Ten minutes later, the manager waved me outside. Every mechanic in the shop was standing around my car, looking at the engine. The manager explained that he had no oil filters for me. "Jeep hasn't released them to our suppliers. I'm sorry, miss. But we topped everything off, and added oil, and vacuumed. And--if you wanted to get an oil filter from the dealership, we would be happy to change your oil. We really would." A murmur of assent rose from the assembly.

I have no doubt that he was speaking the truth. This car is definitely a hit with the Mechanic-American community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home