Saturday, July 16, 2005

stupid moment

Yesterday--I don't quite recall how this happened--I agreed that Christin and I would make someone's wedding cake. The details are a little fuzzy, probably due to the massive amount of crack I must have been smoking to make such a rash promise. Now, I am aware that I have promised a number of people wedding cakes, including Sharon and Christin. That's not the problem. The problem is that the wedding in question is August 12th.

So this morning, I woke up at a quarter to six and went shopping. I came back with parchment paper, eggs, and a lot of vanilla. And I whipped up a lovely sponge cake, layered it with lemon syrup and blackberry jelly, and covered it in a rather fabulous cream cheese frosting. It was very good, although my first attempt at piped decorations was a little on the pathetic side. Fortunately, I have twenty-eight days to perfect it! (Gulp.)

I will post a picture of the pathetically frosted cake within the next few days.

I have to note a few things here:
- While I was promising to come up with a wedding cake, Christin was standing at my elbow screaming, "Nooooooo!" So it's not her fault, except in that vague and cosmic way that everything is the little sister's fault.

- The bride does know that we've never made a wedding cake before, and she doesn't seem stressed about it. She must be truly unstressed, in fact, since she didn't have anyone lined up for the event a month before it's to take place.

- Test cake #1 was excellent, probably one of the best cakes I've ever made.

I will, of course, keep you aware of developments.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Wow. You are one brave, unbalanced woman. All the same, it should be fantastic (you really are a very good cook)--and hey, how hard could learning to decorate a silly little cake be?...

17 July, 2005 17:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suzanne:

THIS IS CHRISTIE!

I am sure the cake was lovely,

but

IF YOU DON'T SEND ME @#$%%!!! Chapter 14 BY FRIDAY....

I will place such a curse on your abilities to make cake that your future sister-in-law and brother will be happy to have a cake made of 2nd day old donuts from walmart drizzled with lumpy, and slightly salty icing, than any cake you could bake.

And then because of this horrible start it will set the tone for a horrible future!

All blame will be placed on your head!!! Too bad you didn't send Christie Chapter 14...tsk tsk tsk

Shame on you Suzanne!

btw: I miss you and when you visit, I want a cake made for me! lol

18 July, 2005 08:07  
Blogger Marie said...

Please publish picture -- you do make spectacular cakes. Maybe you and Emily could go into business together? You could use the wedding cake store as a cover for your top-secret private investigating business in the back alley.

Oh, and a tip: when you bake the final cake, be sure to add liberal amounts of cheap rum. Everything is [cringe] better with rum.

24 July, 2005 00:25  

Post a Comment

<< Home