Tuesday, November 20, 2007

sleeplessness

If I didn't drink so much Diet Coke, I'd feel more justified in complaining about insomnia. Actually, since it's an occasional rather than a chronic problem, I still feel justified enough to blog about it. The stress of Thanksgiving is upon me--I have started to realize, in my heart of hearts, that I do need to clean up the yard, wash the floors, make the pies, and return all those books to the library. Because . . . Grandmother is coming. And I am a little intimidated by Grandmother, in a good way. It will be the first time she sees my new house, and I find myself looking at it more and more with a critical eye. The paint is faded! The yard is a mess! I haven't gotten the bookshelves fixed! Yes, just like last week. But this week, I feel apologetic. It doesn't seem to matter that I actually love almost everything about my house. It's still too easy to worry about what I don't have done.

Caffeine is nothing compared to the powers of perfectionism.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Colin's parents were going to come out here for Thanksgiving, and we assumed we'd be having the dinner at his sister's house. Well, when we were finalizing the details of everything, it became clear they'd been planning to eat Thanksgiving dinner with *us*. I went into a house-cleaning/turkey-cooking panic. It turns out, though, that they won't be able to make it, so the panic's gone, at least. I just still have to cook a turkey.

21 November, 2007 09:32  
Blogger Marie said...

Oooo...Grandmother. I've never met her, and yet she makes my teeth chatter.

I know what you mean about seeing things with a new eye -- I'm almost entirely content with my little apartment in that ugly old complex, but I find myself getting all apologetic when others want to come visit me.

How did it go?

26 November, 2007 11:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home