Friday, November 17, 2006

sorry for the minor delay

Well, it's been one of those years. 2006 will not live in the memory as the embodiment of halcyon youth. We will skip the last seven months, okay? (It's not as if I remember much more than a blur of exhaustion and general misery.) I am about to present the highlights reel:
- I moved to an apartment with hardwood floors, an actual bedroom, and a garden.
- I adopted a cat named Lucie (real name alert.)
-

There was going to be a third happy positive but it didn't suggest itself. Maybe next time.

I am working for Borders in my spare time. It's a seasonal cashier's job, and it's already saved me more on books than I've earned in salary. Guess what everyone's getting for Christmas? This is my first ever retail job, and I confess, it's interesting. In theory, I learn to work the register tomorrow, and The Job itself starts. If I like it, I can probably keep it as long as I care to. (Apparently I seem to have the right skill set for bookstore work.) If I don't, I can walk.

At this point, there's no saying which way things will turn out. So maybe I should get my employee discount purchases in tomorrow.

The job is not simply an attempt to fill my empty (ha!) days with something entertaining and profitable. It is intended to finance two graduate English classes next January. I suppose it was inevitable that I would gravitate back to school. I find myself trying to provoke fellow lit graduates into arguments about authorial intent or discussions of the development of the novel. For the sake of others, it was time to find a graduate program.

I sent out Christmas cards this week. If you expect one (i.e., I have your current address), you may enter complaints if you don't see anything by the first.

More posting as I feel so inclined, which may put me back on hiatus until next year. The only sure way to provoke posts is to respond to me, since I am constitutionally incapable of walking away from a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home