Wednesday, November 29, 2006

escape from death!

Really, truly, I nearly fell into the river. Well, car + me. Well, the guard rail prevented it. That's what guard rails are for. Check in tomorrow morning for bloodcurdling shots of the river and the car (separately). The car will only be photographed if there's visible damage; I was going about 10 miles an hour and therefore might not have anything very impressive to present.

It snowed tonight, the majority falling in the half hour between dusk and dark, melting on the pavement and immediately freezing to an attractive thin coat of black ice. I found myself driving 50 miles in rural New Mexico on this shiny new surface, covered in places with up to six inches of fresh-fallen snow. It took me 2 1/2 hours, much cursing, and a flood of adrenaline to get myself home. Not to mention the kind family of burly men who hauled me out of a ditch the first time I slid into one. The next two times, I hauled myself out by a magical force field of profound irritation.

Now that I'm home, I'm enjoying my warm gas heater and my comfy chair. The cat is making herself agreeable. Thoughts of hot chocolate are presenting themselves. I learned my lesson: I'm never again leaving the house when snow is expected.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marie said...

That is a classy pad you got there. I feel so...so...bargain basement.

Give me a closeup of the pics on the wall. And the rest of the place. And your garden. And you hauling your garbage to the dump. That will make me fell a tiny bit better. :)

30 November, 2006 15:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home