Sunday, November 19, 2006

holiday prep

I sent my Christmas cards out last week, less because I am a neurotic and organized individual than because I realized I wanted to get cards myself. But no one has my address. This way, there's a chance, right? Besides, it was a good opportunity to get the cousin count right--I have at least two small cousins of whose existance I was entirely unaware.

I also ordered some basic Christmas decoration items, including a tree ornament in the shape of a large stuffed snail wearing a scarf. It is much cuter than it sounds, and will be a great hit with the small chilluns who gather 'round the tree this year. I suspect the adults will consider it butt-ugly and make little murmuring noises of uncertain appreciation when I bring it to their attention. The cat will try to eat it.

Christmas will be full of company; I have decided to take Thanksgiving alone. I hope to complete the revisions on ECHO that weekend and send it to my agent, with my new address, in time to get a Christmas card from her, too. Goodness knows, they can afford them. They've made a fortune off Debbie Macomber this year.

I will make myself a pumpkin chiffon pie in a gingersnap crust, though. It's not Traditional and therefore could not appear on the family table, but I want to make it and so I will.

4 Comments:

Blogger photogenic said...

Wow, a snail with a scarf? I can see how that could be cute but I can also see how that... couldn't. Darling, we miss you! I get so confused. I thought it was December and so I was going to ask why you haven't written recently. And then I realized that it is... November 23. Thanksgiving. In my defense, my apartment now has a wreath on the door and Christmas trees and so my mistake was understandable. Okay?

23 November, 2006 11:22  
Blogger photogenic said...

I got my card today!! It was wonderful!!!!

25 November, 2006 00:43  
Blogger Marie said...

Is it allowed to bow out on a Stradling Family Holiday Event? So audacious. While you're walking the line, I dare you to bring a girlfriend to Christmas and introduce her to the fam as your lesbian life partner. Do you remember how well that joke went over at the Waterford Christmas party, circa 2000? It could only be better (worse?) with Mr. Stradling in attendance.

I also got my beautiful Christmas card -- thank you. I didn't know whether to be touched that you remembered me or irritated that you're so far ahead of me.

28 November, 2006 00:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Doll!
I want some of this pie. I want to hear the christmas party story. But most of all, I want to hang out and drink diet coke. How does the 20th sound?
I loved my card, by the way. It's the only mail I've had in the last two weeks.
-G

29 November, 2006 12:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home